Monday, October 15, 2012

Balloon Fiesta!

Dawn Patrol show early morning


My friend Jess and I






The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta started out as only 13 balloons in 1972 and has grown to become the largest in the world.  This year, I was lucky enough to attend...560 balloons went up in the air during the events mass ascension at 7 a.m.  Don't get me wrong, it did take a little effort to attend the event.  I awoke at 4:00 a.m. to make it in time for the 6:30 a.m dawn patrol show (lighting of the balloons) due to the anticipated crowds.  Happy I did, indeed as it was the most spectacular and surreal event I have ever attended.  The feeling of being amidst 560 balloons inflating and departing with the warmth of the fire from the torches warming the chilly desert air was truly unforgettable.  

Mass Ascension






Soaring over the Sandias


No comments:

Post a Comment